Wednesday, July 19, 2006

A little dust in the air

I was watching "Rudy" last night on HBO and towards the end of the movie, somewhere during the sequence of the entire team wanting to give their jersey's up so Rudy could suit up for the last game, Rudy's dad saying, "This is the most beautiful sight these eyes have ever seen", and the crowd chanting Rudy, a small dust storm always seems to kick up wherever I am watching this movie. And it happens everytime.

Yes, I get a little welled up everytime I watch that 15 minute sequence, just like some others get a little welled up when they hear, "I love Brian Picollo". It's just something that happens. Why does it happen? Because great sports movies bring out the best qualities in people. The hero always seems like an everyman, so most people can relate to the hero, he/she goes through adversity and triumphs in the end. They give us hope, the one thing we should all have at all times. They let us feel like we've accomplished the same feat because on some level, no matter how small, we can relate to their challenge and feel redeemed when the goal is ultimately achieved.

It can be the movie as a whole like with "Rudy" or "Hooisers" which are end to end great movies, or it can be one speech, like Pacino's "inches and miles" speech in "Any Given Sunday" which was a terrible movie. There are moments, some fleeting, some capturing us for 2 hours that have us remembering a challenge we overcame or at least give us the hope to overcome a challenge.

I may be less of a man to some because I shed a tear everytime "Rudy" is on, but I can't wait until it's on again, because I'll watch, even if it is only the last 15 minutes, just to get the chills I still always get while watching it.

-Until next time...

P.S. British Open coverage starts July 20th at 6:00am CDT on TNT.

4 Comments:

Blogger hucklebuck said...

With the Rudy soundtrack playing in the background, do you think an everyday man like myself might be able to down the 30 inch hoagie that's been eluding me for years?

8:48 AM

 
Blogger nate said...

I don't know if the Rudy soundtrack would do it. I would go more for the Rocky soundtrack for that feat.

By the way, if you haven't checked your blog today, happy birthday my friend

9:13 AM

 
Blogger The Fourth Earl of Excelor said...

We used to get every Friday night started with an afternoon showing of "Rudy" when I was up in Minnesota Freshman year.

4:32 PM

 
Blogger nate said...

Had I known that, I may have paid a visit every Friday, or even considered transferring.

8:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home