Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Crew and Cubs

First let me thank the other members of the site for not starting the anti-Filzen blogs (at least not yet).

One week from tonight, I will be in The Keg when the Cubs visit the Brewers, and I couldn't be more excited. In honor of this, here are some insights on both teams, the Brewers first, mainly because I have less to say about them.

Last time I talked baseball, the Crew was in first place with a 5-3 record. It is now 12 days later and the team has compiled just a 7-11 record. This is what happens when you lose 8 games in a row. The Brewers rebounded over the weekend and took 2 of 3 from the San Francisco Giants to end the streak. The main difference in the win was the ability to produce runs, and getting production from the middle of the line-up. If Geoff Jenkins breaks out of his early season slump for an extended period of time, Carlos Lee starts hitting like we all thought he would, and Sheets doesn't stay on the shelf too long, the Brewers will be fine.

The team always plays hard, and rarely gives up, which is evidenced by the almost comeback victory last Thursday in Houston. Even though Ned Yost sometimes makes bone-head decisions, I still think he is the best coach the Brewers could have right now. The play St. Louis the next three days and look to return the favor of being swept, which is what the Cardinals did to them two weekends ago. A series victory over the Cardinals puts the Brewers right back in the thick of the race and closer to .500.



The Cubs went 4-3 in the seven games I previewed, as predicted, but probably should've gone 6-1. I swear, if they don't get this bullpen thing figured out, and I mean right now, there won't be a post season. Chicago was 4-5 back on the 14th, and are now 10-9. Since then, Nomar has gotten hurt, Wood has looked...well...not good, and Neifi Perez has been outstanding. If there was a 10th man award in MLB, he would win it for this month for sure.

Derrick Lee has continued his hot start and the rest of the offense is coming around. If it wasn't for the likes of Mark Prior and Carlos Zambrano, I would start to get the feelings of doubt for this season, but with both of those pitchers being outstanding, this team is far from in trouble.

I won't elaborate on who the team is playing in upcoming games, but will have a full recap of my next trip to The Keg and the game I saw there-in.

-Until next time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home