Wednesday, January 14, 2009

What we're talking 'bout

Since I'm sure many of you are interested, Gaddis, Justin, and I trade emails frequently throughout the days. Topics range from sports to television to making fun of Gaddis and reliving college memories. We thought it would be fun to share those conversations with you. So, without further ado...

The first bit today was us talking about the weather and the awful traffic getting into work. Justin goes on about podcasts they are going to start doing and he and Gaddis arange for them to do a podcast when Justin goes to Mad-town this weekend for a visit. We'll pick up where it gets interesting.

Gaddis (G): I just had my Health Screen here at work. I had a smoking hot girldoing the health screen. I almost asked her if she wanted to help mebecome not so fat.

Justin (JG): Did you see The Real Housewives or Nip/Tuck last night?
I gave up on the Real Housewives, partly because we're not livingtogether anymore so I didn't have that weekly reminder that it's on, butI caught a mini-marathon a few weekends ago and it sucked me back in

G: Yeah I saw them both. Nip/Tuck is horrible. I could barely watch it.The Real Housewives are ridiculous, but I still love it. Real World tonight.

JG: I saw the premier of Nip/Tuck last week. I thought last season sucked.I'll give it two more weeks, but right now it's borderline unwatchable.
How hot is Jeanna's daughter Kara?

Me (NF): I've got nip/tuck dvr'd. Is it even worth watching? I almost gave upon the show I've watched since episode one after the mid-seasonpremiere last week. Did Christian screw Liz in this one?

G: Yes, he and Liz got it on.
Kara is amazing. I have a thing for Kara's in general.

JG: What? Was that in last night's episode? God that show just sucks now.It was so good the first two years, the whole Carver angle was greatuntil the payoff. Seriously, who didn't think it would be that othersurgeon, but then to add the PI and make her his sister? That's whenthe show started to get ridiculous.

NF: It was pretty ridiculous to begin with, that's what made it soawesome. But, now it has just become too awful to even watch, justlike Prison Break after season 2.
I wonder if we will see, "I have a Tebowner" shirts next year inGainesville, or in Gaddis' dresser.

JG: (talking about the ESPN streak for the cash contest) I could have sworn I picked the Suns last night. I remember clicking onthe preview of the Suns/Hawks game and looking at numbers and I thoughtI clicked on the Suns. Apparently I didn't and my streak for the cashis still at 6. Could have been 7, an all-time high.
I don't see anything on there today I feel comfortable risking my streakwith. I'm saying that sitting on 6, I can't imagine how tense I'd getif I ever reach 15 or 20

NF: I don't see any I'm confident enough to risk my current 3 on. I'mgoing to be tense if I ever get over 5. The dudes with 17 must befreaking sweating.

JG: I think I'm going to take Portland over Philly, I mean Philly isn't thatgood. They don't have Brand, they don't have much offense, Portland isdecent. They should win, shouldn't they?

G: I am at 4 and I think I am taking Portland over Philly

NF: I was looking at that too, but does the east/west thing work the sameway in the NBA. Did Portland play last night? When/where was therelast game?

NF: There was a great question in Simmons' mailbag today that wentsomething like this, "If you could have the best seats in the housefor any sporting event ever, what would it be?" He went with USA 4USSR 3.
I'm going to pose the question to the two of you, but say whatsporting event since 1990 (which is probably when we all reallystarted to get into sports and knew what was going on) would you havegone to, and also, what would have been the best seats in the house (Iask for this opinion because I don't believe the midwest expressairline seats underneath the scoreboard in center field are the bestseats at Miller Park).
And go....

G: Simple....October 14, 2003, Marlins vs Cubs, Section 4, Row 8, Seat 113.In the 8th inning when the Marlins are up to bat I would go to thebathroom.

NF: Why, so someone else could catch the ball? Alou wasn't getting itanyway. You should have chosen that seat so you could rush the fieldand attack Alex Gonzalez, forcing him out of the game.
My decision is down to 2, either the 16th hole at Augusta in 2006 whenTiger made that ridiculous chip, I would have wanted to be rightbehind him, or our normal end zone seats last year during thePackers/Seahawks game in the snow.
Although, watching one of the Wisconsin Rose Bowl victories would havebeen cool, as would have USC/Texas...

JG: Oh god, that is a tough one.
I don't think I'd choose a football game, because personally I thinkthey're better to view on TV than in person.
My initial knee-jerk reaction is to say game three of the 2001 WorldSeries, when it returned to NY after the attacks and W. tossed a heaterdown mainstreet with the opening pitch. I'd go with seats right behindhome plate for that one.
That or courtside seats for game six of the 1993 NBA finals where theBulls beat the Suns. Barkley was my favorite athlete of all-time, andto be able to see Jordan in his prime, up that close, on a night wherehe clinched another title.
I think I'd go with one of those. I don't know though, I could think oflike 5 more.

G: There are so many. Those are very good ones Garcia.

NF: I was even thinking the "fan-man" boxing match between Bowe and Hollyfield.
I like the game 3 of the '01 WS pick, that's a good one.
The Pats/Rams SB would also have been good, although, I agree thatfootball may be better on television. I love watching from the endzone seats, though, you get to see plays develop and how defenses lineup. I think that if the seats weren't in the end zone, I wouldn'tlike them as much.
What about sitting courtside or right behind Marv Albert in 1992 forthe "I can't believe I just made another 3, either" Jordan shrug?
mmm, one for me would definitely be in Tampa for the Super Bowlnational anthem in 91 when Whitney Houston lip-synched really well toher pre-recorded version which brought down the house shortly afterthe Persian Gulf war started.

JG: Yeah, I was thinking about both those Super Bowls and that Jordan gametoo.
What about one of the Dream Team games in the 92 Olympics? I would havepicked one of those or the gold medal game if they would have had anycompetition.
The USC/Texas or the Miami/OSU national championship, sorry, Rose andFiesta Bowls weren't too bad either.

NF: I would have liked to have attended the mythical practice where Jordanand Magic or Barkley were just trash talking each other so bad thatthey eventually just said "screw it, let's pick sides" and they pickedteams like they were on the playground and it was apparently the bestbasketball game ever played.

G: Yeah I wish there had been a camera in there for what was probably thegreatest game every played.

NF: So I think that's my answer, courtside for that game.

JG: I just read Simmons' mailbag. How ridiculous is that, that the Heathave retired Jordan and Marino's number? WTF?
I just thought of another few:
The game where Tamika Catchings got to limp into the game to put up abasket for Tennesse.
The game where Candace Parker became the first woman to dunk in an NCAAtournament game
Chamique Holdsclaw's first game with the Mystic's. How incredible wasthat? It was like LeBron's debut.
And lastly, game 3 of the 2000 WNBA finals, I mean how many times canyou see a 4-peat like that?
You know, if you want us to take your league seriously, how does theteam that won your first 4 Championships fold 8 years later? WhateverWNBA

NF: Here's the great thing, I don't even know what team you are talking about.
And yeah, I had to read the sentence about Marino and Jordan and theHeat 3 times. Not kidding, 3 times before I could move past it.
I almost forgot, I want ticket to when Cael Sanderson broke the alltime record of going undefeated or whatever it was when he had hislast match for Iowa State and won, going undefeated for his career. Istill think he should have looked right into the camera after thatmatch was over and screamed, "I'm coming after you Stone Cold. 3.16this" and then dropped the mike, started doing steroids and joined theWWE.

JG: I'm sad to say I know, and knew the answer before I wrote this...theHouston Comets.
And actually, I'm overlooking one big one. Wrestlemania VI, where theUltimate Warrior beat Hulk Hogan for the title. I'm pretty sure I criedafter Hogan lost. I was a big Hulkamaniac as an 8 year old


Back with more later...

1 Comments:

Blogger Justin said...

YES!

12:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home