Thursday, December 01, 2005

What needs to happen?

If any of you know my track record as far as my feelings on coaches and their behavior on or off the field, you probably know how I feel about the Frank Solich situation. For those of you who don't know my track record, this is basically how I feel about coaches; they are in the spotlight whether or not they like it and no matter how big or small their program is, they are held to higher standards, that's it.

If you haven't heard the Solich story, read one of these articles from the AP:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2239809
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=ncf&id=2239821
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2240823
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9068596

Alright, so now Ohio University has put Solich on probation for being convicted of drunk driving. PROBATION for being found passed out in his car on the side of the road with his car running and in drive. Are you kidding me? I feel like blood is going to start pouring out of my eyes if I read about another one of these idiots and how they are jeopardizing not only their careers, but the future of their programs!

My question is this, what does a coach need to do to not only get fired, but have other coaches think, "hey, maybe I should be more careful with my actions, especially when out in public."? Paying for hotel rooms, housing strippers, drinking with co-eds at a frat party, getting knocked out because you made a derogatory comment to a minority, passing out drunk in your car while it is still in drive, where is it going to end? To steal a line from the professor I learned the most from, nothing shy of one of these guys being caught in a corn field with a 10 year old is going to make any of the rest of them think they should be more careful with their activities.

I think everyone knows my opinion on this situation or any other situation which involves a coach doing something stupid like this, but I would like to hear other peoples' opinions.

-Until next time...

1 Comments:

Blogger hucklebuck said...

I'd probably set the line at raping a midget in public. No program could sustain the public shame of such a brutally grotesque act.

3:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home