Thursday, August 04, 2005

Daily Brew 8/4

Let's start by wishing my dad a happy birthday today. (I won't disclose the age) Happy Birthday pops.

The Brewers completely shocked me (and Mr. Fabos) last night and pulled out a close win in the late innings, only, yeah you guessed it Victor Santos pulled another no-decision. Look I realize I'm hard on the guy, and a lot of the time it's maybe unwarranted, but it's just not working. Whenever he takes the hill it seems like they're going to lose, and if they do win he's not the pitcher of record (his record will atest to that). He pitched fairly well last night, but made the same mistakes, keeping the ball up in the zone. When you don't really have any pitches that move, and you're fast ball zings in their at 88, you especially can't get away with that.

Don't look now, but the Crew is only 2 games under .500, and only 6 1/2 games back in the wild card race. Speaking of wild card, how is Houston still leading that race? No Bagwell, Biggio is going on 57, Berkman was injured almost the entire first half, and they're getting contributions from a guy named Luke Scott. But on the flip side, Mike Lamb has been a solid utility guy this year, Morgan Ensberg is finally having his breakout season, Clemens' pact with the devil apparently hasn't expired yet, Andy Pettite is actually healthy, Berkman has been on a tear since his return, and Willy Taveras, remember that name, Willy has turned in a solid rookie season.

It turns out the 4 year $4 million deal offered to Zaza Pachulia by the Hawks is actually a 4 year $16 MILLION deal. Who reported this first figure, and how are you off by that much? This could make it difficult for the Bucks to resign Zaza, but the good news is it may open the door for the return of Tony Kukoc.

Can ESPN Radio just rename the Dan Patrick show to the 1:00 eastern time zone show? How many vacation days does this guy get. It pretty much ruins the next three hours of my work day when I hear Linda Cohen, Dana Jacobsen, or Screaming A. Smith. Which reminds me...

10 Most Annoying ESPN Personalities

10. Joe Morgan - He calls a horrible game during sunday night baseball, and for the love of god, STOP CALLING A SLIDER A SLIDE PIECE!

9. Steven A. Smith - I can tolerate him, but at times he's really annoying. Oh yeah, please stop yelling at me.

8. Dicky V - God love him, but he's annoying.

7. Joe Thiesman - Should change his name again to something like Workoff, you know "Thiesman rhymes with Heisman," wel Workoff rhymes with Jerko... you get the picture. Don't remind me that you played the game, I already know (I've seen you break your leg at least 80 times) and don't act like you could step right onto the field from the booth and out perform todays QB's.

6. Sal Palontonio - Something about this guy just really gets under my skin. Just like (again I'll go back to the OC) Ryan Atwood felt about Oliver, I don't feel right about this guy. Quite frankly he seems like a self-centerd punk. (Fabos, I'm sure you could atest?)

5. Bob Ryan - Crotchedy old guy who really annoys me. Could most guys relate to what he said about Jason Kidd's wife? Sure, but you don't say it Bob. Oh yeah and I hate how when he's on Around the Horn he pretty much automatically wins.

4. Dan Patrick - I don't care what you shot at Augusta (Filzen), while hanging out with Darius Rucker and all the other celeb friends you have that you name drop on your show everyday. Odly enough, I still like him though.

3. Skip Bayless - He carried vendeta's and if he doesn't like you he will sway his argument away from the truth to pieces of the truth that benefit his argument. Was he right all along with T.O., yeah, but don't remind me everyday.

2. Chris Berman - The Boomer, ohh silly boomer. Your whole "I make funny nicknames" mo is getting old. You can't call a game, or even home run derby, and you are the only person that can make an NFL highlight show unwatchable. (Honorable mention Sterling Sharpe) Please do us all a favor and quit. I realize you helped build ESPN, which is kind of my point exactly. Both you and the network are unwatchable now.

1. Stuart Scott - God I hate him. HATE. Cross-eyed bastard, go try and catch another ball from the juggs machine at Jets camp.

The Badgers have announced that they will wear thier 1960's uniforms when the unviel the final rennovations to Camp Randall on September 3 against Bowling Green. Bowling Green has announced that they will also wear their throw back uniforms. The Badgers are expected to have over 400 former Badgers on hand to show off the completion of the $109 million project.

In Badgers on field news, the coaching staff is thinking of ways to get Tyler Donovan on the field, and may do the same thing they did with Bollinger and Sorgi, and rotate QB's. For the love of god no. Let one guy win the job and play him. If you really like Donovan this much, or at least as much as you say you do, then just start him. Is Stocco really that much better than Donovan?

News that broke yesterday that I never touched on, Addidas has agreed to buy Reebok for $59 a share. This will combine the power Addidas has overseas on popularity it carries in sports like soccer, with Reebok's U.S. appeal of sponorships it carries with basketball. This could prove to be a major competitor for Nike, but I doubt it.

A press conference has been announced in Vegas regarding the NBA. Apparently the NBA will actually hold an All-Star game there. I have no problem with this. Baseball should do the same thing, more players would actually go to the All-Star game. Let's see, Seattle Washington or Vegas, Washington, Vegas. Sure, I'll go to Vegas for a few days.

4 Comments:

Blogger nate said...

10. Thiesman
9. Paige
8. Ryan
7. Morgan
6. Phelps
5. Rowe
4. Bayless
3. Smith
2. Kolber
1. Scott

10:01 AM

 
Blogger nate said...

Kolber doesn't add anything to the broadcasts other than a nice face. She never dresses in anything which shows skin and will say whatever it is she was told to say in the pre-production meetings no matter what is happening on the field. She knows as much as is put into her ear by the producer connected to her little microphone. HAVE AN ORIGINAL THOUGHT, then I will believe she knows something.

Also, inexcusable by me to forget Berman. In fact, I've re-thought Rowe, take her off, put Berman at 2 and move everybody else back one space.

10:30 AM

 
Blogger nate said...

It's not just Kolber, I hate probably close to 90% of all side line reporters.

10:30 AM

 
Blogger Justin said...

Totally inexcusable for me to forget Berman. It was early, and upon finishing it I thought, "I think I'm forgetting someone." He would be 1B while Scott is still 1A. The whole nickname schtick, untolerable personality and the raging comb-over just kill me.

10:43 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home