Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Daily Brew 8/2

I'm starting to get a little tired of the whole "I didn't know it was steriods," or "I didn't know what I was putting in my body" argument. Don't most of these guys have personal trainers? All of them have team trainers. Do I believe Rafael Palmeiro intentionally took steriods? Absolutely. The biggest question of all is where is Jose Canseco? He should be openly gloating, he was just vindicated. Looks like he may have been telling the truth. Palmeiro is a steriod user, and has been since 1993. Why would you all of a sudden start to take steriods now? Of all the members in the 500 home run club, Palmeiro took the longest (8 seasons) to hit 30 in a season. Coincidentally, besides being his first 30 homer season, that 1993 season where Rafy hit 37 homers was also the first year Jose Canseco was in Texas. Remember when Palmeiro was a Cub and was given up on because the team felt he'd never be a power hitter? 3, 14, 8, 8, 14, 26, 22. Those are his home run totals his first 7 seasons in the league. After meeting Canseco, and according to Canseco getting introduced to steroids, he put up 37, 23, 39, 39, 38, 43, 47, 39, 47, 43, 38, 23, and so far 18. I have to admit, that's amazing. The fact that you can go from a Lyle Overbay type hitter during you entire minor league career and first 7 seasons, to a guy that hits 40 home runs in a season (in your mid 30's mind you) is truely remarkable. That, or it's steroids.

While we're on the topic of steriods, here is some breaking news. I now believe the rest of you (everyone in the general public) That Barry Bonds has taken and was taking steroids before or during his major offensive seasons. Tough for me to admit, because Bonds always has been my favorite player, but the argument I just made for why Rafy was, it's the same thing for Bonds. Bonds did announce he won't return this season. Is that even news? Did anyone expect him back this year?

Ned Yost had his option for 2006 picked up by the brewers yesterday. Contrary to Nate's report, I don't dislike Ned Yost. I think he has pumped a much needed entusiasm and energy into the community and team. He revived the Brewers, they were dead, no one cared any more and Ned Yost managed to get fans interested in the team again after a 56 win season. Where I do have a problem is some of the decision making, and it's not to say that he won't get better at it. For his sake I hope he does, otherwise 2007 will be the search for a new coach.

Plowed through another 7, count em 7, episodes of the OC last night. Man did I miss that show. I can't wait till August 23 when season two is released on DVD and September 8 when season three premiers. Randy Moss and company will have to wait, I'll be busy watching the Cohens and not the NFL that night.

If it seems like this column has been going through the motions lately, it's because I have. Man is it hard writing a daily column in the morning, going on little sleep because you just spent last night watching 7 hours worth of the OC and did laundry. That and the fact that there has been little to talk about other than Rafael Palmeiro. The Brewers return tonight and hopefully so will my enthusiasm. That or hopefully another guy gets busted for roids, c'mon sports I need something to write about here.

2 Comments:

Blogger nate said...

I never said you didn't like Ned, I just said we all know how you feel about him, which is that he makes stupid decisions quite a bit. The guy has so much enthusiasm for this team, it's hard not to like him, but his managerial skills are lacking, there's no doubt about that. If he doesn't get better quick, the team won't, and that will mean his exit from Milwaukee.

9:39 AM

 
Blogger Justin said...

touche my friend.

10:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home