Thursday, March 10, 2005

Tom Crean

I wanted to write more about Crean yesterday, but forgot in my original column, tried writing this last night, but it wouldn't publish, and haven't been able to get online today until about 15 minutes ago. I remembered what I wanted to write after one of our good friends out in Cali had the following to say:

Marquette blows and Tom Crean is overrated. The only reason they had success a few years back was because
Crean took a flier on an academic non qualifier that everyone passed on and it ended up being Dwayne Wade. They
will be perennial cellar dwellers in the Big East from here on out.

VinDigiorgio better known as Justin (not Garcia) is very much correct. After having Dwayne Wade lead the team to a Final Four, the team has gone 19-12 (8-8) and 19-11 (7-9) in the two years Wade has been gone. Sure they were nice to watch at times this year with Travis Diener at the point, but most of the time, it was unbearable. Dameon Mason has not lived up to expectations, and Justin (Garcia) is right when he says people can stop comparing him to Dwayne Wade. Since Crean apparently has a top 20 recruiting class coming in, I will give him three more years to get to the NCAA Tournament twice and make at least one sweet sixteen, otherwise I will be signing the fire Tom Crean petition and starting firetomcrean.com if it isn't up already. The reason I say three years instead of two is because he is moving to a new conference, needs to learn how to win in that conference, how to recruit for the style of play, and has NO ONE I have faith in for next season.

That is what I wanted to write. Also I must say that I didn't think UWM looked like a tournament team on Tuesday, meaning that when I saw them, they didn't look like a tournament team at that time. I did enjoy watching them during the season and thought they would be another tough draw for a 5 or 6 seed, but like Justin said, they will probably get a 13 at best.

I was going to do my NL West preview today, but won't because of lack of time. I have a meeting tomorrow and will then be getting ready to go down to Chicago with Gaddis and another good friend of ours, so you may not even get it tomorrow. If not tomorrow, I will definitely have it on Monday, along with the NL East preview later in the week.

-Until next time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home