Thursday, March 10, 2005

Panthers Celebrate with Champagne

For those of you who don't know the story, click on the link above to read about it. Basically, the UWM Panthers celebrated their victory on Tuesday night by cracking open bottles of champagne and spraying it on each other. Do I have a problem with this? Maybe. Do I think it is a big deal? No.

Let me explain that I only have a problem with it if the players were consuming the champagne, and only if the players who may have been consuming the alcohol were underage. Simply spraying the champagne on each other is not a big deal to me. The NCAA does not have a policy against this type of thing, so I don't have a problem there either.

College arenas are not allowed to sell alcoholic beverages at games; so there is reason to be upset that these young men had champagne in the locker room.

I understand that players want to celebrate. Like I said, I only have a problem if underage people were consuming the champagne. By the way, why do I keep writing consuming instead of drinking?

Coach Bruce Pearl reported the incident right away and told his players he was disappointed with them. This was a good move, and since the NCAA does not have any rule against this sort of behavior, so I don't think any suspensions are in order or anything like that, unless the school itself has rules against athletes and alcohol. If underage players were found to be drinking the champagne, they should be suspended. Read the article to get the story and form your own opinion.

-Until next time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home