Thursday, February 17, 2005

Simmons Internship

Well I didn't get into the round of finalists for the Bill Simmons Internship, but I never really expected to. I'm not a Red Sox fan and don't live nor have I ever lived in New England. I don't have a journalism degree, I only wrote for my school paper and am a blogger. I have never seen "Faith Renewed" and didn't have a great story about Vegas, The World Series, how my life was directly effected by the Red Sox last two post seasons, and I hate the Celtics. I guess I didn't have much going for me, but I'll let you judge as here is my application:


I started writing a semi-weekly column for our college paper The Racquet with one of my college roommates during our junior year. After about two months of this, we decided it would be better if I wrote by myself and I started writing a weekly column, which continued until I graduated in 2004.

I have what has been called an unhealthy love of music, movies, and sports. If I would have spent a quarter of the time I spent on those three things in college, on my studies, I would be wearing a suit and sitting behind a desk from 9-5 everyday. Actually, maybe it’s a good thing I didn’t spend that much time studying, then I wouldn’t be able to apply for this job, or write a blog with the same old college roommate.

Having nothing to do during the day except plan what to write on my blog, pretty much all I do is go to sports websites and watch whatever sporting event is on television that night. I also listen to a lot of music and try to watch a movie a day. Basically I am your average out of work college graduate, except my dream is to write for the Cubs one day.

This internship would be a great springboard towards that career, and I would do anything and everything I would need to do, in order to help that dream become reality. My favorite teams are; The Green Bay Packers, Duke Blue Devils, Alabama Football, and Cubs. I have to say that since 1991, when I played the saxophone and Steve Sax played for the Yankees, they have been my favorite AL team. However, Steinbrenner not keeping my favorites, Tino (even though he’s now back), Wells, Soriano, and others has led my loyalty to the Yankees falter. Don’t get me wrong, I cheer for NY when they play the Red Sox, but I may be the only Yankees fan on the planet who cheered for the Red Sox in the World Series. Why? Because, now we (Cubs fans) are the only ones left.

Through my devotion to the Yankees, I believe Bill and I could have some great conversations, plus it would give him one more person to chant, “Year Two-Thousand!” to.

Lastly, I have a talent and passion for this, and would be great at it. 400 words, you just read all of them.

-Until next time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home